Monday, May 08, 2006

The Deuce Weekly, 5/08 - 5/14/01

Vol I, Iss XII
5/8-5/14


Coming Up:
*Tonight! The Mummy Returns! Meet at the Summit at 9 if you’d like to join us to check out The Rock as the Scorpion King. (This movie really wasn't that good... man, was it five years ago??)

*Saturday, May 12th, our monthly Cracker Barrel Saturday at the CB on 119. Meet at 10 for lots of fellowship and breakfast!

*Wednesday, May 16th, Common Ground takes over The Refuge at Valleydale for the high school service. Contact Sybil Johnson if you want to help out. I heard the speaker is really hot and all…

*May 19th, Friday… Run DMC at City Stages. I’ll be there wearing My Adidas. So don’t be Illin’. Walk this Way to see the grandfathers of modern rap music. (I'm trying to remember why I didn't go see them)

*May 21st, Monday… Project 86, Living Sacrifice and Stavesacre in concert, Five Points Music Hall.

*May 25th, Friday… Pearl Harbor is released to theaters… more about that below.

*May 26th, Saturday… Common Ground service project night. More details coming soon! (My first clue this might suck... "Starring Ben Affleck...". My next clue this might suck... "...and Josh Hartnett...")

*July 7th… DeuceFestDeuce… our 2nd annual celebration of life and love at The Deuce. In concert: Justin Glenn, Stephanie Knipp, food, music and another original Deuce game with prizes and all!

Coming Soon:
*May 19th… Graduation Day of Amy Wible at the U of A!
*June… Deuce History Month
*June 15th… Ecclesia Church is hosting Travail in concert
*June 16th… Watermark in concert, Kindred Bookstore
*June 20th-23rd… Atlanta Fest in Atlanta Georgia
*June 29th-30th… WalkAbout: On Holy Ground Dinner Theater
*July 14th… Le Perc at Common Ground
*July 20th-21st… Youth Evangelism Conference with Salvador, LaRue and Rebecca St James in concert
*August 2-4th… FurnaceFest at Sloss Furnace
*August 4th… So Long Steph, a goodbye to The Deuce First Lady
*August 7th… Nsync in Concert
*September… Survivor III kicks off. (2001 was so long ago, I can't remember who won this one...)
*September 1st… The DFC begins
*October 20th… Deuce Night, our first semi-formal
*December 22nd… It’s a Wonderful Deuce Christmas
*February 2002… Deuce Date Party II
*Summer 2002… Matt and Ginger get married (and then have babies)

Pearl Harbor
Here’s the most anticipated movie of the summer… and we are getting the group together to go see it. The Deuce will be going as a large group Friday, May 25th, to the late show to see Pearl Harbor at The Summit. Don’t show up at 8 wanting to get a ticket for the 9:30 show, because it will be sold out. If you can bring your $7.25 during Thursday night bible study or a few days before hand (bring the amount needed, or sacrifice 75 cents, I probably won’t have change), I will go during lunch on Friday and buy as many tickets as I can. First come, first serve. Please, no “get me a ticket and I’ll give you money on Friday night”. (Were tickets ever $7.25? Oh, FYI--this was the movie that that I learned to never say "I'll get your tickets and wait for you outside the theater...")

The DRL (deuce request live) Top Five Of Everything… PCB Edition
5… Ashley O’Neal. Your version of “Trinity” was a great rendition of a song I used to not care for. (very true. after this weekend, "Trinity" has become one of my favorite J-Knapp songs)
4… Merdi Q. “On The Verge” is the poem. You guys should read it. Again. And again.
3… Saturday. How much more can you ask for in terms of weather?
2… Emily, Derek and Brad. New or fairly new faces we enjoyed seeing. (I miss Emily... and Derek was her stalker. And who the crap is Brad?)
1… Sean Hall. Your prayer on the beach ruled.

The Spotlight Haiku
Don’t forget, we are accepting haiku for Shawn and Michael for printing in the June DWs! This week’s haiku spotlights a very good friend of The Deuce… We salute Jill Berthon!
Jill Jill Jill Jill Jill
Her name just rolls off the lips
Say it with me: Jill!


If I Can Be Serious for a Minute…
If you missed the weekend in Florida, it was great. Lots of time of prayer and great fellowship. Thanks to everyone who came and made it what it was.

This Week’s Top Ten List…
Top Ten Things You Didn’t Hear Said This Weekend in Panama City From…
10… Josh Crosby: “I don’t have much energy right now.”
9… Michael Nipp: “I’d much rather be watching the hit motion picture Black Dog than be sitting on this beach.”
8… Wookiee: “Oh, look at those kids throwing water balloons. They are so sweet… I love children.”
7… Stephanie Campbell: “Geez, I’m almost as dark as Dave!”
6… Drew Morris: “Of course I’ll teach you how to play Jewel, Snipp!”
5… Sean Hall: “Hey guys, to be honest, discipleship is really not worth it, so don’t worry about it, okay?”
4… Sarah Hasha: “Ten o’clock is so early… I’m going to be up until at least one or two.”
3… Sybil Johnson: “Honestly, I’m really not that excited about hearing Rick.” (That being Rick Stanley, Elvis' cousin)
2… Eric Wade: “You know, I think I’ll sit over here, as far away from Ashley as possible.” (That being Eric Wade, Ashley's stalker)
1… Brooke Belcher: “Look Ellen! We’re early for the session!” (Story: Brooke & Ellen showed up late for eeeeverything that weekend, including a later water ocean romp with a very scared Josh Crosby)

Be A Part
June is Deuce History Month, and we are setting aside the month of June to honor Tom, Shawn, Michael, Fisher and Malcolm in a series of Haiku. Tom’s Haiku has been selected and will run the first week of June. We are still accepting all submissions for Michael, Shawn and one Haiku for Fisher and Malcolm. A Haiku is a Japanese poem with three lines… 5 syllables in the first and third line, 7 in the middle. Turn-ins have been low, so you guys need to pick it up! Put your creative gowns on and give me some haiku!

The First Ever DW Poll…
Response has been pretty good… so keep ‘em coming! We are asking for your favorite all time Christian albums. Not something you like because you bought it last week, I’m talking something you aren’t sure you can live without. Give me your top ten all time!

Removal…
To be removed from the mailing list, simply hit “reply” and type “Remove” and along with your $48.00 removal fee, you can unsubscribe!

No comments: